LEGO Minecraft – Crafting Box (21116): I have long been a huge fan of Minecraft so much so that I consider myself not a fan of Minecraft, but 2 years clean. I was one of the few to be able to purchase this set this year (Amazon has it at a premium and Lego is out of stock currently), and while I had buyer’s remorse seconds after purchasing (I mean paying 2 and a half times what I paid for the game!) but once I had it in hand, I can say I’m rather pleased.
Time to Knoll: 28 Minutes – I love knolling, but if this was not a review, I think I’d almost just separate pieces by the way it’s given to you in Lego’s bags – there’s just too many unique pieces with not enough of them to warrant knolling.
Time to Build: 8 Minutes for the common build parts. Then I had a dilemma – this is an 8 in 1 – so do I just choose one, or do a I build them all because I feel that’s a full review. Kidding I did them all. (Click to Enlarge)
- Pieces: 518 and a variable number of Steps (due to manual(s) offering 8 configurations) And oh yes there are 2 manuals, 1 for the main setup, and another for sections. Also be aware, configurations often leave many pieces behind (up to 100+).
- Price: $89.99 on Amazon, and $49.99 normally on Lego (but out of stock)
- Volume (Based on Blob length/width/height): (minifigs not included) 64mm x 128mm x 144mm or 1180cm³
- Uniqueness: 5 out of 5 Stars (Since it’s kinda very up to you)
- Aesthetics: 4 out of 5 Stars
- Fun to Build: 3 out of 5 Stars
- Hoarding: 5 out of 5 Stars (Just so many earthy tone pieces)
I like the sections, but I do have an issue with them, they are just too flimsy when connected. I really like the modular construction idea (which shows in my remix), but on it’s own I can’t lift the set up without it falling apart. So I decided to make my own variant (it’s Minecraft for pete’s sake) and posted that here. But as a treat it’s here in Lego, and in actual Minecraft.
However despite the nature of this build, I did try and do a proper remix, and decided on a modular space station (inspired a bit/lot by Spacebase DF-9) Which let me change enough that it doesn’t feel too much like just MC in a different way.
Keeping with rules of the remix I’ve not included the bread and carrot (as this is a slightly larger scale). Note this doesn’t have minifigs as those are exempt from remixes (and the scale again would be wrong)
Final Thoughts: While I saw the vignettes, and the micro worlds for Minecraft before – in truth the second I heard there was going to be a Lego set based on the game, I wanted this crafting box. It’s not perfect, and I think it owes a lot to Minecraft’s desire to make things in your own image (a lot of the things they show in the set kinda violate MC’s ‘physics’) It’s a great set to have, and for me its benefits mean my friends (read: jerks) can mess around with the set when they visit putting things out of place.
Final Score: 4 out of 5 Stars